How Advancements In Vehicle Technology Are Shaping a Cleaner Future
March 11, 2020
As social responsibility continues to be a top priority for consumers and businesses, the government has stepped in and offered incentives to promote a clean environment. However, there are other drivers impacting the future of commercial transportation. For example, one of the largest drivers is advancements in alternative vehicle technology.
As consumer demand and government funding for cleaner transportation are increasing, the technological advancement of low emission commercial vehicles continues to grow.
Natural Gas Vehicles
On the natural gas front – cleaner engine technology and non-fossil renewable natural gas are bringing light to a mature industry.
- Natural gas vehicles have been in operation for many years in the following applications: heavy-duty trucking (long and short haul), school, transit and refuse.
- Cummins, leading engine manufacturer, improved performance and environmental cleanliness of their natural gas offering. Their new near-zero products are certified to meet California’s optional Low NOx standards and, when used with renewable natural gas (RNG), can provide unbeatable greenhouse gas life cycle emission savings. As seen with any new vehicle technology, they’ve also addressed initial developmental issues and established best practices for maintenance to optimize performance and operational costs.
On the electric vehicle front – the battle to bring commercial electric solutions to market has intensified.
- Daimler has been one of the first established commercial vehicle manufacturers to announce development of a suite of battery electric vehicles.
- Tesla has been showing glimpses of their class 8 battery electric vehicle technology for several years.
- Nikola has been quick to promote hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicle technology as the best solution for specifically class 8 heavy-duty long-haul applications.
According to a recent survey from KPMG Research, Automotive Executives identified fuel cell electric mobility and battery electric mobility among their top strategic priorities heading into 2030, indicating that indeed, the evolution of electrified commercial vehicles will continue in the short and long term.
The next question is simple – what should your company do to prepare for this shift in commercial transportation? What vehicle technology and/or fuel type should you deploy across your fleet? Are there regions more opportunistic than others?
Although the evolution of commercial transportation is exciting and will produce a cleaner tomorrow, navigating potential paths can be confusing.
But, we can help. As a leader in alternative fuel solutions and infrastructure, we’re here to help you transition to a clean, established vehicle technology today and as electric vehicles develop, we’ll have an offering to support your expansion. Reach out – you’ll be glad you did.